Happy National Farmers Market Week! Celebrate with us this Friday!
Hello Farmers Market Blog Community!
If you’ve never been to our farmers market, or if you haven’t been in a while, or even if you join us every week, you should absolutely join us this Friday August 12, as we celebrate—National Farmers Market Week. TVM is proud once again to be joining thousands of farmers markets across the country in celebrating National Farmers Market--this year's theme: Farmers Markets Don't Just Happen
Over the past year, our farmers market community has showcased resilience and growth in our rapidly changing world. Farmers markets are a hub for connection and collective action around shared values, and that feels more important every year.
But Farmers Markets don't just happen. Every week our Market staff, volunteers, vendors and amazing customers come out to make sure that our Farmers Market continues to serve as a hub for local food and connection in our community.
Behind the scenes of every successful farmers market is a dedicated person or team working to make the market thrive. These farmers market operators are experts who need community and financial support to run their markets and resources specifically designed for their needs.
Did you Know?
Every Friday 6:30AM: we begin set-up, first my own tents and then organize: special events (kids, non-profits, music) all require tables, tents, signs, and other materials need to be brought out. Vendor spaces need to be taped off or delineated in some way. Cones and and no parking signs need to be placed so when the vendor arrive in the afternoon they are able to get into the field with their vehicles to unload and set-up and be ready to serve you at 3pm. Cones need be set-up to slow traffic. Vendor entrances and parking areas need to be opened up with cones and signs. Hydration Donation Station needs to be brought out and refrigerate water bottles and ice. Signs are set up near the market to entice new, and remind regular, customers. Place tables for customers to rest, eat and enjoy the music. (And then, most of these tasks must be done in reverse when the market is over!)
Here’s a sneak peak at some of the planned activities we have to celebrate National Farmers Week THIS Friday.
- Project Hope--Zucchini Kids project
- I heart my Market Tattoos
- I Love My Market Chalkboard Messages
- Social Media Photo Contest, two lucky winners will win a $50 gift card to Old Fields Barbecue.
- Farmers Market Raffle—anyone can win a bin filled with Market haul
- Recycle Bin giveaway. Town of Brookhaven will be back again
- Plus It's time to play with your food! "Start your engines", the Zucchini 500 is zooming back, fun for everyone. Special guest Racer Car Design and Drivers, Councilmember Jonathan Kornreich, TVHS President Jeff Schnee and more...
Many of our vendors are preparing a special zucchini, green products or zucchini recipes
- Tashana's Kitchen --Macaroni and Cheese Cupcake with sauteed Zucchini and vegetable topping
- EggCellent Quiche: Zucchini and Roasted cherry tomato quiche. The vegetables are from local farms, the quiches are made with artisan cheese herbs, and our very blend of spices.
- S&J Bakery Zucchini Focaccia bread
- Tracy Marlowe—Zucchini Bobbles and Bling
- Chocology —Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Ann Maries Farmstand + 4E Green Farm —A plethora of fresh Zucchini
- Bambino Raviolis—Zucchini xxx
- Sids Country --Sauce tastes great on Zucchini slices!
- Amadeus Aromatherapy —THINK GREEN! Avacado, cuticle and nail cream using green kelp!
What can you do to support farmers markets and celebrate National Farmers Market Week? Here are 4 easy ways you can get started celebrating that Farmers Markets don't just happen!
- Shop regularly at our Market – and tell your friends to do the same! Follow all directions and guidelines for safety while at the market.
- Stay connected! Follow TVM on Facebook @threevillagefarmersmarket and Instagram @threevillagemarket for updates.
- Spread the word! For the next 7 days at 7pm we are going to share one reason to love our farmers market on our social media. We encourage you to share with us why you love our market on our Social Media pages.
- Volunteer! We welcome volunteers to help us operate the Market. We work on the Market all week, not just on Fridays.
Check out this week's Market Map.
More than ever before, National Farmers Market Week is an opportunity to showcase the value of farmers markets. WE can hardly wait to celebrate with you on Friday!
Happy National Farmers Market Week!
Linda Johnson and the Farmers, Makers, Bakers, Artisan Food Vendors, Craft Vendors, Volunteers, Fishers, Bee Keeper, Cheesemonger, Brew Masters, Vintners, Historians, and everyone else who makes up the network of people of, Three Village Farmers Market
Located at 93 North Country Road, Setauket Friday's between 3 and 7pm